Mike is a former USA Olympian in the Javelin Throw and US Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC) Combat Controller (CCT). Mike finished his athletic career as a 2008 USA Olympian, 2007 Pan American Games Silver Medalist, the 2011 National Champion and 4 time USA Championship Silver Medalist (07,08,09,10) a member of the 2009 and 2011 World Championship Teams and 2010 Continental IAAF World Cup. Mike’s top ten average throws ranks him 3rd all time in American history. He was 4 times ranked #1 in USA by IAAF (08,09,10,11), and 3 times ranked top 10 in the World by the IAAF and World Athletics Tour (08,09,11).
After retiring from his athletic career, Mike shifted his focus to joining the military and enlisted as a US Air Force Special Operations Command Combat Controller (CCT). Mike, in his mid-thirties, endured the longest, and one of the most grueling Special Operations training pipelines that the Department of Defense has to offer with an attrition rate of 90-95%.
Combat Controllers are American Special Operators (specifically known as “Special Tactics Operators”) who specialize in all aspects of air-ground communication, including air traffic control, fire support, and command, control, and communications in covert, forward, or austere environments. Combat Controllers are an integral part of US Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC) and are assigned individually or as a team to Army Special Forces, Navy SEAL, Army Ranger, and Delta Force teams to provide expert airfield seizure, airstrike control, and communications capabilities.
- Masters of Education – Sports and Business Management
- Bachelors of Science – Exercise Sports Science, minor in Business Administration
- Associates of Air Traffic Management
Past Speaking Engagements:
- Atlanta Braves Baseball Club
- United States Olympic Committee
- Fox 5 News San Diego
- Rady Children’s Hospital
- Intergenerational Games
- Temple High School Athletic Department, Temple Texas
- San Diego Rotary Club
- Motivation vs drive and how to manage both.
- Work ethic, what differentiates Special Operations from conventional military.
- Entitlement culture.
- Sacrifices vs choices.
- Stress management and the science behind it
- Fear vs bravery